The Bible tells us of a number of events that would take place immediately before Christ’s return to earth. Here are some of them:
(1) Wars, famines and earthquakes (Matt. 24:7). These have been there on earth at all times. But there has been a great increase in their number since the Second World War (1939-1945).
(2) A sudden spurt of knowledge and a vast increase in worldwide travel (Dan. 12:4). Both of these have also been seen in a far greater measure during the last fifty years than ever before.
(3) Men will be lovers of pleasure (2 Tim. 3:4). Immorality is a specially evil characteristic of our times. Pornographic movies and video-tapes have all served Satan’s purposes in promoting immorality.
(4) Men will be arrogant, revilers and disobedient to parents (2 Tim. 3:2-4). Today we see the spirit of rebellion all around us – in homes, in schools, in colleges and in factories.
(5) Believers will fall away from the faith (1 Timothy 4:1). We see this too in our day, with the wide proliferation of many cults, to which many believers are falling a prey.
(6) The rebirth of the nation of Israel (the fig tree – a symbol of Israel – putting forth its leaves – Lk. 21:29-32). Ever since A.D.70, the Jews had been scattered around the world. This fig tree lay withered for nearly 19 centuries thereafter. But in May 1948, the nation of Israel was born once again. Jesus said that Jerusalem would be occupied by non-Jewish nations until the times of those nations are fulfilled (Lk. 21:24). In June 1967, Israel occupied the city of Jerusalem, for the first time in 20 centuries.
It is exciting to see what is happening in the world today. The signs are all pointing to the coming of Christ very soon.